Glass is a modern material that you can take for granted. However, streaks and hard water spots can be frustrating when cleaning your car’s windshields, mirrors, and windows. For streak-free glass cleaning, learn the best techniques.
Here are some tips to get you started
These universal tips will work for all types of glass.
- Use soap and water or commercial glass cleaner.
- To avoid streaking, do not clean glass in direct sunlight.
- Begin at the top of the window, and work your way downwards. Wash windows on multi-story homes starting at the second floor.
You probably have annealed windows if your windows do not have any special coatings. This type of glass breaks into large pieces when broken.
Annealed glass is straightforward to clean.
- Soak the windows in soap, water, or glass cleaner.
- Use a razor blade to scrape hardened glass or gently scrub the areas that have stuck on debris.
- Use a squeegee to remove soap and water from the glasses.
- To dry the window completely, use a microfiber towel.
Heat-strengthened glass is more robust than annealed glass and can withstand high-temperature swings. It breaks into smaller pieces than annealed.
Follow the same steps for cleaning annealed glass.
Tempered glass, also known as “safety” glass, is five times stronger than annealed. Tempered glass breaks into smaller pieces that are less likely to cause injury.
Tempered glass can be scratched easily, so make sure you use a high-quality window cleaner and a soft microfiber towel. Do not forcefully scrub your window, and don’t use a razor blade to scratch it.
Coated surfaces can reduce heat buildup in your car or home, from tinted windows to low E coatings to reflective glass. If you clean the windows too often, the coatings can cause damage.
Take extra care when cleaning surfaces with coatings.
- Never use razor blades.
- Window cleaners that don’t contain ammonia should be avoided
- Use a microfiber towel to dry the window.
- Use a gentle method to clean one window and then assess the results before moving on to the next.
Windows that can be cleaned by yourself
Self-cleaning windows may be the best option for you if all the talk about cleaning glass leaves you feeling exhausted. This type of glass is self-cleaning, so you don’t have to clean it.
- Photocatalytic processes use direct sunlight to dissolve dirt and other organic materials.
- Hydrophilic means that rain can run off windows in sheets and take loosened dirt with them.
- The windows are quick to dry and leave no streaks.
These tips will ensure that your bathroom mirror is streak-free
- Take out toothpaste splatters and dry hairspray using a cotton pad dampened in rubbing alcohol.
- Use a glass cleaner to clean the mirror.
- Use a microfiber cloth to clean the mirror.
- Make sure to check for streaks in the glass and then buff it until it is immaculate.
Foggy, yellowy film on your windshield’s inside can’t be removed by a car wash. It is difficult to clean the glass by hand because of its awkward angle. Spray a “Reach and Clean”, which contains glass cleaner, to make it easier. To reach every corner of your windshield, spin and rotate the tool.