The outdoor space of your property is a physical extension of your home and should be made more functional and appealing by applying the concepts of interior design. In fact, you can easily create an outdoor living space with the help of patio pavers. The endless combination of colors, sizes, shapes, textures, and patterns of patio pavers can allow you to define sections of your outdoor living space in many different forms and styles. You can hire experts to help you fulfill your vision by searching “paving companies near me” online.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips to help you understand how to define your outdoor living space with patio pavers:
- Create a map of landscape or a patio plan – Before you order patio pavers and start to lay them out, it’s important to create a patio plan, (i.e., a map of your landscape). Once you measure the total space available, you can clearly understand how many sections you can create, how large each section could be made, and where to define the sections. Thus, it would save you a lot of money and time that you might waste otherwise on making errors.
- Consider your overall budget – When working with a contractor or a landscape architect, it’s important to discuss the total cost of the project in order to plan better and avoid any nasty surprises. It is also a wise idea to create a separate budget if you have to buy extra patio furniture. Typically, local stones are cheaper than exotic stones since they don’t have to be shipped. Plus, they blend seamlessly with the surrounding environment.
- Consider your stone options – Concrete pavers are a popular option since they come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and available in many price ranges. Plus, it is possible to apply different types of textures and finishes to concrete such as faux finishes, rock salt, etchings, aggregate, hand carvings, and stamping.
You can explore more options available in your area by visiting a local stone supplier. Some of the most popular stone options include veneer stone, flagstone, cut stone, and cobblestones.
- Consider the surface texture for safety – It’s important to consider the texture of your patio pavers since it can affect the functionality of your outdoor living space. For instance, living rooms and dining rooms become more accessible when made with pavers that feature smooth, flat, and even surfaces.
It’s necessary to avoid using bumpy aggregate concrete pavers and rough cobblestones in such areas since they can cause people who are on wheelchairs and those who use canes to slip and fall down. Similarly, polished granite and ultra-smooth concrete surfaces can become super slippery when wet. For best results, it is necessary to apply anti-slip or slip-resistant coating on such surfaces, especially if it is in a high-traffic area.
- Add dimension and depth – You can combine the different shapes, textures, colors, and sizes of your patio pavers to create an illusion of depth and improve the visual aesthetics of the area. For instance, you may contrast the different textures and colors to create contemporary block patterns, swirly designs, arches, or even emulate the look of designer carpets and large decorative rugs.
The angle at which different patio pavers are laid also affects the overall visual design of the outdoor sections. For instance, 90-degree angle designs blend naturally with the surroundings while 45-degree angle designs attract attention. You may also use border pavers to clearly define the larger and smaller sections of your outdoor living space or even create uniquely designed areas. The ‘I’ and basketweave patterns are classics. Other popular patterns include fan patterns, kits like circles, and pre-made European architectural elements.
Here are a few creative ways to define sections of your outdoor living space using patio pavers:
- Cozy hang-out spot – Patio pavers can be used to create a path that leads out from your back door to a hang-out spot made with another type of patio paver. The hang-out spot may be designed in a circular, square, rectangular, and triangle pattern depending on the natural boundaries of your property. If abstract concepts appeal to you better than symmetrical patterns, you may even lay them out in a random pattern to evoke a different kind of visual interest. You can turn it into your personal haven by adding a comfy hammock, a couple of iron chairs, concrete benches, rustic trellis, and even a small but beautiful garden.
- Outdoor living room – If you are lucky enough to live in a region that has a warmer climate all year round, you can create a true outdoor living room using patio pavers to your advantage along with different types of patio furniture. It’s important to stick with outdoor fabrics in such cases and decide how to store your pillows and cushions. Ideally, you would not want the outdoor fabrics to be subjected to rain in order to boost their longevity.
- Visual interest – Patio pavers can be utilized to create well-defined walking paths. Thus, they serve a functional purpose, especially for large properties where it is necessary to ensure that all the different paths connect to each other seamlessly and offer a natural movement experience. You may even incorporate a sense of mystery and sensitivity by creating winding paths that curve from side to side instead of creating straight walkways.
However, you can also use patio pavers to simply elevate the visual interest of your property even if they don’t serve any functional purpose. For instance, you may add patio pavers around your beautiful fountain, in your landscape garden, or around your swimming pool to make the overall area more charming.
Now that you know how to use patio pavers to create the outdoor living space of your dreams, it’s time to turn that into a reality. Contact a professional by searching “paving companies near me” online and allow them to help you with your project.