Fences play an important role on any property. They help to demarcate the property, separating your land from public land or the land of your neighbours. Fences can also help you deter intruders into your property and make it harder for people who are up to no good to get onto your property.
With how important fences can be, it stands to reason that you should choose a durable fence that can last you for a long time. Better yet, a fence that is both long-lasting and aesthetically pleasing would be ideal for most residential properties. In this post, we take a look at steel fences and discuss whether they are a good idea.
What are Steel Fences?
While fences are typically made from wood, plastic or other materials, steel is also an option that you can consider for your fence posts. Steel fences are most commonly constructed with galvanised steel posts, which is a type of steel that has a layer of zinc coating applied to it.
What are the Benefits of Using Galvanised Steel Posts for Fencing?
The unique properties of galvanised steel posts make them uniquely suitable for fencing use. Some of the benefits that you can enjoy by installing a steel fence on your property include:
- Weather resistance: The galvanisation process adds a layer of zinc coating to the steel, greatly improving its durability and weather resistance. Galvanised steel posts can easily last decades, making them very resistant to harsh weather conditions.
- Low maintenance: Unlike wooden fences, steel fences do not rot and the galvanisation process helps to prevent them from rusting. This means that not must maintenance will be necessary if you choose to install steel fencing.
- Sustainability: Compared to other options like plastics, steel is much more sustainable and will not cause any environmental harm or damage. If you eventually choose to dismantle your steel fence, it is also much easier to recycle steel compared to wood or plastics.
- Lower cost: While steel fences may be associated with higher upfront installation and material costs, they do not need to be replaced regularly. Thus, this means that in the long run, you will save money with steel fencing compared to wood or plastic fencing.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Steel fencing can help you achieve a modern, minimalistic aesthetic for your property, providing both functionality and aesthetic appeal.
Get Your Galvanised Steel From RW Steel
RW Steel is the leading supplier of steel in Victoria and we offer a wide selection of products to meet all your steel needs. In addition to galvanised steel posts, you will also find retaining wall steel, steel h beams, Corten steel and much more in our catalogues. We also provide complimentary on-site cutting at no extra fee and we’ll even weld and fabricate steel to your specifications. Contact us today for a free consultation to see how we can help you meet your steel needs for your next project!